We all know that China’s version of the internet is highly restrictive and walled off from the world in my regards. It’s hard to be a Chinese resident since it’s impossible to access a whole lot of online material. So, you may ask, why would you need a Chinese IP? Well, expats will always want to look to their own region for content not available where they are right now. So follow this guide and learn how to obtain a Chinese IP abroad.
How to Get a Chinese IP Address Abroad with a VPN
Some Chinese expats may still want to access their home country’s web. From streaming services exclusive to Mainland China to online banking services, these are prohibited for users logging in from the UK, US, Canada, or anywhere but Mainland China. However, with the use of a VPN, you can tap into your roots once again regardless of where you reside.
A Virtual Private Network is a tool that can change your online whereabouts to wherever you desire. All you need to do is connect to a server in the country you wish to appear in and it’s done. For example, if you need a Chinese IP address, connect to a Chinese server and you’re officially a resident in that region, virtually.
Here’s how you obtain a Chinese IP address abroad:
- Sign up with a VPN, ExpressVPN is highly recommended.
- Download and install the VPN app on your PC, iOS, Android, or Mac.
- Log in with your account and connect to a Chinese server.
- To double check, visit https://whatismyip.network and inspect your new IP.
- You have a Chinese IP now. Congrats.
Note that China block several VPNs within its region. Nevertheless, I tested out 4 of the top VPNs for China that actually work. Take a brief look in the table below.
Why Do You Need a Chinese IP Address
If you’re a Chinese expat or happen to be on vacation, a Chinese IP address provided by a VPN is perfect for you. You can visit geo-restricted websites wherever you’re located and gain online access to your bank accounts back home. Here’s what a Chinese IP will grant you while living abroad.
- Access to Chinese Streaming Services: Iqiyi, Youku, CCTV, and Tencent are the leading streaming channels in China. If you’re one step outside the borders, you will lose the ability to stream them. These services check your IP address before allowing you to tap into their libraries. If you hold a foreign IP, then forget about it. But with a Chinese IP, you’ll have full access to the channels as you’ll be considered as a virtual Chinese resident.
- Use Local Bank Accounts: Operating online banking from another country might look suspicious for your bank. This will lead to immediate blocking. However, when you use a VPN and connect to a Chinese server, you’ll be able to go through with your online banking habits in no time.
How to Get a Chinese IP Address Outside China – The Conclusion
VPNs are the perfect redemption tools for expatriates living in the US, UK, Canada, or elsewhere outside the Chinese region. Due to restrictions and security measures, living outside your country might give you some difficulties. But, once you make use of a VPN and get a Chinese IP, you would find that you’re closer to home despite being miles away.