A VPN has become a day to day necessity for most US citizens and expats. Whether they are present in their home country or living abroad, a Virtual Private Network is crucial for several purposes. But how can we be sure that the provider that we’ve chosen is the right one? Just read ahead guys, and you’ll be able to choose wisely and download the best VPN for you on Android, Mac, iOS, or PC.
Top VPN Providers – A Quick Look
A VPN can offer services such as bypassing blackout restrictions, granting access to geo-restricted American TV for expats, data encryption, and so much more.
There is no shortage of VPN service providers out there. With each having its own characteristics and benefits, one can certainly get a headache while researching. We took it upon ourselves to provide you with a list of great options. Let’s start with a table that will give you a brief idea of what’s to come next in this guide.
Best VPNs For the US – The Top Notch
Below, we are going to dissect those VPNs to help you make a decision.
- Available on Almost Every Platform Imaginable
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Split Tunneling
- Unmatched Server Network Coverage
- Headquartered in British Virgin Islands
- Above Average Price
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
Among all the VPN providers that are mentioned in the table above, this one surely stands out. With more than 2000+ servers around the world, this VPN is able to grant you the anonymity you’ve been looking for. Not to mention, ExpressVPN is not located within a 14 Eyes member, so it’s completely safe. In addition to that, your speed won’t get affected much while it encrypts your data – a slight 11% decrease is a good price to pay for the security and privacy you get in return. ExpressVPN also provides the following:
- Zero-log Policy: ExpressVPN doesn’t keep logs on your daily browsing activities. This ensures that you stay anonymous no matter what.
- Protocols: You can always choose between different types of protocols such as OpenVPN with TCP and UDP, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP.
- Servers: Offers 148 server locations in 94 countries.
- Kill Switch: Ensures that your connection doesn’t default back to your ISP’s network when the VPN connection gets cut off.
- Smart DNS Proxy: The MediaStreamer Smart DNS service is also able to unblock any geo-blocked channel outside your country without having to resort to a VPN.
- Simultaneous Devices: It can run on 3 devices at once. Well, sharing is caring.
- Cash-back: ExpressVPN offers a 30-day money back guarantee for those who want to try out the service before committing.
- Free-trial: Unfortunately, ExpressVPN doesn’t offer a free trial.
- Support: 24/7 chat support, and they reply very quickly.
- Price: A 1-month costs $12.95, the 6-month plan brings the cost down to $9.99 a month, while the 12-month plan boils down to $8.32 a month.
- Available for MacOS, PC, Android, and iOS
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Kill Switch & Unlimited Server Connections
- Free DNS Proxy
- Servers Hosted in Top Tier Countries
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
- Above Average Price
BulletVPN is the second option that comes to mind. This one comes with more protocols than the one above. The only issue with this provider is that it doesn’t have as many servers around the world as other VPNs do. On the other hand, its headquarters is in Estonia, which is not part of the 14 Eyes surveillance alliance. Here are some other features for BulletVPN:
- No-log Policy: BulletVPN doesn’t keep any logs of your browsing activity.
- Protocol: You can choose one of the following protocols: PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv1, and IKEv2. As we all know, OpenVPN is the securest of them all.
- Simultaneous Devices: You can connect 3 devices at once using the same account.
- Kill Switch: The Kill Switch option is available as well, which will protect you in the event of a sudden connection outage.
- Smart DNS Proxy: Also available so you can watch all blocked content whenever you want.
- Money-Back: BulletVPN offers you a 30-day cash-back period if the service fails to meet your expectations.
- Free Trials: No Free Trial available.
- Support: Chat support is very efficient.
- Price: $10.98 per month, $54.98 for 6 months, and $89.98 per year.
Ever since it was launched back in 2002, NordVPN has grown to become one of the biggest VPN providers of all time. The company is based in Panama, which is not within 14 Eyes, and offers 4879 servers located in 62 countries. You’re going to love the features it offers:
- Zero Logs: NordVPN doesn’t keep logs of your activities.
- Protocol: NordVPN has multiple protocols: OpenVPN, IKEv2/IPsec, L2TP/IPsec, and PPTP.
- P2P: NordVPN has hundreds of servers for P2P data transfer. So torrent away, you’re safe.
- Servers: More than 70 server locations in 6 continents.
- CyberSec: Any suspicious website that might infect your device with malware, spyware, or any malicious software will be detected and blocked. It’s one of the best security solutions out there.
- Double VPN: Double the servers, double the security. You can connect through two servers.
- DNS Leak Protection: When your system reverts to your default DNS server, your ISP will be fully aware of your online destination. With NordVPN’s DNS leak protection, that’s no longer the case.
- Simultaneous Devices: NordVPN can take on 6 devices at once.
- Kill Switch: A kill switch is also available to protect you in the event where your VPN connection goes down all of a sudden.
- Money-back: A 30-day cash back policy is available.
- Price: 1 Month for 11.95$, 6 months for 9$ a month, and 1 year for 6.99$ a month.
- Good Speeds
- Trusted Apps & WiFi Networks' List is Handy
- Robust Security Features (DNS & Cloud)
- Beautiful Design
- Works on Many Platforms
- Some Glitches Here and There
- Kill Switch Behaves Rather Oddly
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections for the Basic Subscription
- Server Network Could Have Been Better
And last but not least, VyprVPN. We must point out that its mobile app design is the most impressive. It comes with two subscription packages, standard and premium. Its headquarters is in Switzerland, which is far from the reach of 14 Eyes, and it has other features, check them out below:
- Logging Policy: VyprVPN does keep logs, which are stored for 30 days. That’s a bit risky if you ask us.
- Protocols: OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP.
- Kill Switch: A kill switch is available to mitigate the risk of a VPN connection failure.
- P2P: Torrent all you want, VyprVPN has servers specifically equipped with high-level security for P2P sharing.
- Zero-knowledge DNS Service: This service lets users increase their privacy and unblock censorship across the world. This happens because when you use VyprVPN, you directly activate VyprDNS, an encrypted, zero-knowledge DNS service.
- Simultaneous Devices: 3 for regular, 5 for premium subscription.
- Support: 24/7 via live chat or email. They reply quickly don’t worry.
- Price: Regular: 9.95$ per month, and Premium: 12.95$ a month, billed yearly.
Why Is a VPN Needed in the US?
A VPN is used in the US for several reasons. Whether to be safe while browsing online or if you’re an American expat looking for a way to access your home country’s content. We all know that high leading channels in the US are geo-blocked outside their region, so what other way do we have to access them? A VPN of course.
Internet Safety and Security
While using a VPN, your data will be encrypted so that you browse online safely. Companies all over the world use VPNs in their day to day work activities to keep any prying eye away from their sensitive information. To give one example of the threats that lay online, not long ago, a consumer marketing data firm called Exactis had a major breach, which exposed data on over 340 million individual. These records include phone numbers, home addresses, email addresses, and other highly personal characteristics for every name.
How would you feel if you’re unable to watch your favorite game of the year online using the subscription that you’ve already paid for? Well, that might happen because of broadcasting rights deals. Certain games are blocked in certain areas of the US, that’s what a blackout is. With a VPN, you can spoof your location by simply connecting to a US server outside the blackout region.
American Expats – US TV Anywhere
As an expat living abroad in the UK, Canada, Australia, or elsewhere, you probably have a soft spot for your local TV. However, much of American TV is not available overseas because many of the streaming channels are geo-restricted to the country. But with a VPN, you can connect to a US server and obtain an American IP address. After that, any streaming service will think that you currently reside in the US after it reads your newly acquired IP, thus bypassing the geo-restrictions imposed by any channel.
With a VPN, you can hide your IP address by connecting to any server you want. With that, your location will be hidden as well. However, without a VPN, your ISP, the government, and even search engines like Google, can track your whereabouts easily. In essence, just download a VPN and browse whatever you want, away from prying eyes of your ISP and any other party.
Best VPNs for the USA – Wrapping Up
This is not a guide to help you choose a VPN only, it is here to also open your eyes to the risks you take when you go online. Every time we are browsing, there might be an anonymous party lurking around waiting to grab our personal info. The real world is said to be cruel, the internet more so. Download a VPN, secure yourself, unlock geo-blocked content by choosing the best VPN for you.