New Zealand is probably on everyone’s travel-list for its outstanding scenery. Anyone who’s been to New Zealand or is currently residing there knows that the internet in the country enjoys a fair degree of freedom. However, we need to mention that NZ is part of Five Eyes, a notorious intelligence collection and sharing alliance, which means that, at any moment, residents can be unknowingly under surveillance. So, if you currently reside in New Zealand, you need to pick the best VPN so that you can enjoy the internet in complete freedom.
The Best VPN for New Zealand – A Quick Summary
Well, this took some time, but we managed to collect info about 4 of the top VPNs out there. We did that so you don’t waste your time doing so yourself. For people who are new to this and are not familiar at all with what VPN to use, this guide is the perfect place to be. Four top VPN providers where tested, and let me tell you, you’re in for a treat. For now, check the list below so you can take a brief gander at what’s yet to come in this article.
The Top VPNs for New Zealand – In Details
Whether you’re visiting, a resident, or an NZ expat living abroad, a VPN is needed. However, every VPN service comes with different specifications, so you just need to pick what suits you best. And don’t forget, this is very important so please keep it in mind, any free VPN is a big NO. If you come across an ad for a free VPN, simply skip and ignore. They tamper with your speed and aren’t very good when it comes to your security. Now, with that said, here is a detailed analysis of the four VPNs we tested for you.
- Available on Almost Every Platform Imaginable
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Split Tunneling
- Unmatched Server Network Coverage
- Headquartered in British Virgin Islands
- Above Average Price
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
The first thing that comes to mind when picking a VPN is the number of server locations it offers, and that made us think of ExpressVPN. With its wide range of servers scattered around the globe, this VPN can surely feed your streaming experience when it comes to bypassing geographical restrictions. Not to mention that this VPN provider offers the most secure protocols. However, that’s not all, wait till you see some of the other features this VPN has:
- 94 countries with over 148 server locations
- It doesn’t keep logs when your browsing.
- MediaStream Smart DNS to unblock geo-restricted channels and watch anything online.
- Supports the following protocols: OpenVPN with TCP and UDP, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP with AES with 256-bit keys encryption.
- A Kill Switch in case any connection failure occurs.
- Unlimited bandwidth
- Connects to 3 simultaneous devices.
- A support team is available 24/7 to respond to any inconvenience via live chat.
- No free trials.
- 30-day cash-back.
- Costs 12.95$ dollars a month, 9.99$ with a 6-months plan, and 8.32$ with a yearly plan.
- Available for MacOS, PC, Android, and iOS
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Kill Switch & Unlimited Server Connections
- Free DNS Proxy
- Servers Hosted in Top Tier Countries
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
- Above Average Price
BulletVPN doesn’t have that big a server network, but protocols are what it’s best known for. This VPN provider offers more protocols than anyone else on our list, making it the most flexible when it comes to balancing security and performance. What it lacks in servers, it surely makes up for it in protection. But wait, there are more, totally awesome features that come with this package, check them out:
- Servers scattered in 30 different countries including Brazil, the US, UK, and so many others.
- No logs kept while browsing at all.
- Smart DNS available.
- Supports PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv1, and IKEv2 protocols.
- A Kill Switch is available.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Connects 3 simultaneous devices.
- On the clock support team via email or live chat.
- Free trials are not part of the package.
- But there is a 30-day money back period in case you don’t want to continue.
- $10.98 per month, $54.98 for 6 months, and $89.98 per year.
This VPN is in a league of its own. HQ’s based in Panama, so 14 Eyes are not a thing to worry about. It also comes with a huge number of servers. You can stream geo-blocked content in almost any country in the world. Guys, 4000+ servers! Not to mention that this VPN provider respects your privacy and doesn’t keep logs on anything you do online. The perks are too long to mention here, so we’re just gonna list them below:
- 4900+ servers in 62 different countries.
- Zero log policy.
- Cybersec for extra protection from malware and spyware infected sites.
- OpenVPN protocol using both TCP and UDP ports, as well as IKEv2/IPsec.
- Strong encryption algorithms and ciphers such as AES-256-CBC with a 2048-bit DH key.
- Double VPN feature: can connect through two servers for more protection.
- A kill switch if the connection is lost.
- 6 connected devices at the same time.
- 24/7 award-winning VPN support.
- Get your money back within 30 days if you change your mind.
- 1 Month for 11.95$, 6 months for 9$ a month, and 1 year for 6.99$ a month.
- Good Speeds
- Trusted Apps & WiFi Networks' List is Handy
- Robust Security Features (DNS & Cloud)
- Beautiful Design
- Works on Many Platforms
- Some Glitches Here and There
- Kill Switch Behaves Rather Oddly
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections for the Basic Subscription
- Server Network Could Have Been Better
Last but not least, VyprVPN. Coming straight from beautiful Switzerland, the provider is beyond the reach of 14 Eyes. We’re delighted to say that this particular VPN is a one of a kind and has the best mobile interface we’ve seen. However, VyprVPn keeps logs for 30 days, and that worries us a bit. But this VPN makes it up with what it gives in return. Check below to see why VyprVPN deserves to be in our top 4 list:
- 700+ servers over 6 continents.
- It keeps logs.
- Supports Zero-knowledge Smart DNS. When you use VyprVPN, you directly activate VyprDNS as well, this will help you protect yourself and unlock geo-blocked content anytime.
- Has high-level security servers for P2P sharing, so torrents all you want.
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
- A kill switch is available.
- Simultaneous devices depend on the subscription: 3 per regular, 5 per premium.
- Live chat support available on the clock.
- 30-day cash back policy.
- Regular: 9.95$ per month; Premium: 12.95$/month.
Why is a VPN Needed in New Zealand – Top Reasons
As we mentioned above, New Zealand is a free country when it comes to the internet, yet, it’s still part of Five Eyes. There have been calls to cast NZ out of the Five Eyes association in relation to its links to China, but for the time being, residents should be extra careful about their activities online. In addition, expats living abroad want to keep up with shows they left behind when they traveled, but that is typically blocked outside the NZ borders. So here are the top reasons why a VPN is really needed for New Zealand.
The Five Eyes – Online Privacy
Well, they’re called Five Eyes for a reason. This association watches every move in the US, UK, New Zealand, Canada, and Australia. They’ve been caught monitoring and sharing their citizens’ data. That’s why a VPN is a must here. With a VPN, you can connect to servers in many parts of the world. By doing that, you’ll be taking on an IP address from a different country and cloaking your own. Fight back with a VPN; an eye for an eye. With a VPN, whoever’s monitoring you my dears, can’t anymore. You have a different identity, a different location, and you’re free to do whatever you want.
Bypassing Geo-restrictions – NZ TV Everywhere
Oh New Zealand, you and your precious TV content. What have you done to your citizens when they leave? Expats living outside NZ will have no access to their favorite TV shows. However, the best way here to get a taste of the country’s television is to get a VPN. With a Virtual Private Network, you can connect to a server in New Zealand. Once you do that, you will instantly obtain an NZ IP address. When any local channel reads your IP, it will unlock its content for your viewing pleasure. Easy enough? Yeah, I told you a VPN will help you bypass geo-restrictions. Now, let me give you a list of the channels you’ll be able to unlock with a New Zealand IP address:
- Maori Television
- The Edge TV
Once you go online, several parties tryto monitor your every move. Even Google and Facebook engage in that dirty habit. Not to mention that torrenting can go awry too. People face problems while torrenting because their IP is exposed. Well, again a VPN is the perfect method to fix that. How? Well, first if you want to browse without being tracked, all you need is to connect to a server using the VPN so that you hide your IP address, which allows you to browse anonymously. As for torrenting, a VPN with P2P friendly servers is a must.
The Best VPN for New Zealand – Parting Words
New Zealand is a breathtaking country to live in or visit. But some issues with the internet can make it a bit hard to do so. We can manage with some few blocked websites, but hey, let’s not push it. Monitoring citizens is just terrible, and a VPN can block that. So, download a VPN, and live in a “New” New Zealand when it comes to the internet.