When you’re in the UAE, you will notice a huge difference in the services available on the internet. If you’re a citizen, then you might have gotten used to it. However, if you’re an expat that’s something hard to deal with. UAE has a lot of restrictions and internet laws that are simply unbearable. It monitors its residents and blocks VoIP services. In this review, we will be shedding light on the best VPNs to use so you can avoid monitoring and access content from home.
The Best VPNs for UAE – Brief Intro
There are a bunch of VPN providers out there that you can use, but not all of them made our list. We will be talking about the top 4 VPNs to use in the UAE, including their features so that you can choose one that suits you best. Now while on the subject, please avoid any free VPN you might come across in an ad or something, they are not reliable and will tamper with your internet speed on a drastic scale. So, without further ado, check the list below and take a quick gander of what we’re talking about in this review.
The Top VPNs for UAE – Detailed Analysis
A very thorough research is needed when it comes to choosing the best VPN out there. However, we already covered that for you, and all you have to do now is pick one. You need to observe what each VPN provider provides and the cost altogether. So read carefully and choose wisely.
- Available on Almost Every Platform Imaginable
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Split Tunneling
- Unmatched Server Network Coverage
- Headquartered in British Virgin Islands
- Above Average Price
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
ExpressVPN will definitely elevate your internet experience if you’re located in the UAE. This VPN has a wide variety of servers around the world to connect to. It also gives you a very high level of security while your online. Its HQ is not located in any of the 14 Eyes countries, so it’s very safe to use it. Giving access to a huge number of servers is not the only thing ExpressVPN is good at, it also has a lot of features that give it one of the top 4 spots in our review.
- 148 server location in over 94 countries.
- Zero log policy (This is a crucial feature any VPN should have).
- MediaStream Smart DNS to unblock geo-restricted channels and watch anything online.
- Supports protocols such as OpenVPN with TCP and UDP, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP with AES with 256-bit keys encryption.
- A Kill Switch in case any connection fails suddenly.
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Connects to 3 simultaneous devices.
- A support team is available 24/7 via live chat.
- No free trials.
- 30-day cash-back.
- Costs 12.95$ dollars a month, 9.99$ with a 6-months plan, and 8.32$ with a yearly plan.
- Available for MacOS, PC, Android, and iOS
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Kill Switch & Unlimited Server Connections
- Free DNS Proxy
- Servers Hosted in Top Tier Countries
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
- Above Average Price
The second one we are covering comes with a lot of pros and only one con. But don’t let that fool you. Whatever BulletVPN lacks in server numbers, it makes up for it with services and benefits. With its headquarters based in Estonia, we have no worries about any of the 14 eyes. This VPN provider focuses more on security, that’s why it gave us extra protocols that none of the others have. Any user has a bigger variety of protocols to choose from when they have BulletVPN on their devices.
- Different servers in 30 countries.
- No logs kept while browsing at all.
- Smart DNS available.
- Supports PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv1, and IKEv2 protocols.
- A Kill Switch is available.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- 3 simultaneous devices.
- Customer support available 24 hours a day via live chat.
- Free trials are not part of the package.
- 30-day money back if you change your mind midway.
- $10.98 per month, $54.98 for 6 months, and $89.98 per year.
This one has a huge number of servers: 4000+ scattered around the globe. With that, you can unblock any channel not available in your country with ease. Not to mention that it grants very good protection for its users. However, it doesn’t include many protocols, but still, its encryption is military grade. If you want to know more, just look at the list below, it’s full of features that will definitely get you to like it.
- 4928 servers in 62 different countries.
- Zero log policy.
- Cybersec for extra protection from malware and spyware infected by some sites.
- OpenVPN protocol to be used for both TCP and UDP ports, as well as IKEv2/IPsec.
- Strong encryption algorithms and ciphers such as AES-256-CBC with a 2048-bit DH key.
- Double VPN feature, can connect through two servers for more protection.
- A kill switch if the connection fails all of a sudden.
- 6 connected devices at the same time.
- 24/7 award-winning VPN support.
- Get your money back within 30 days if you change your mind.
- 1 Month for 11.95$, 6 months for 9$ a month, and 1 year for 6.99$ a month.
The last of the 4 is VyprVPN. This particular VPN provider comes with a lot of pros too, yet one con that’s very disappointing. The only setback with this VPN is that it keeps logs that disappear in 30 days. However, it has a lot of advantages that make you forget about that issue. First, its HQ is based in Switzerland, so no 14 Eyes peeking. Second, it has servers in 6 out of 7 continents, that’s perfect. And it comes with a lot more features than we may fathom and you can check them below.
- Good Speeds
- Trusted Apps & WiFi Networks' List is Handy
- Robust Security Features (DNS & Cloud)
- Beautiful Design
- Works on Many Platforms
- Some Glitches Here and There
- Kill Switch Behaves Rather Oddly
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections for the Basic Subscription
- Server Network Could Have Been Better
- 70 server locations over 6 continents.
- It keeps logs, (Not a good thing if you’re looking for privacy)
- Supports Zero-knowledge Smart DNS. When you use VyprVPN, you directly activate VyprDNS as well, this will help you protect yourself and unlock geo-blocked content anytime.
- Has high-level security servers for P2P. Torrents are all yours.
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
- A kill switch is available.
- Simultaneous devices based on subscription. 3 per regular, 5 per premium.
- Live chat support available 24/7.
- 3-day cash back policy.
- Regular: 9.95$ per month, and Premium: 12.95$/month.
Why is a VPN Needed in the UAE?
Internet restrictions in the UAE are very frustrating. If you want to communicate with people over Skype or Whatsapp video and voice calls, you can’t do that. All VoIP services are banned in the UAE, so you can only text, send photos or a short voice note. As for expats, when you’re outside your home country, you can’t access its content when you’re in the UAE. Many of your favorite TV channels are geo-blocked outside your home. All you need for that to be solved is to have a VPN on your device.
Privacy and Security
The government in the UAE is very strict when it comes to social media and chat apps. It has high surveillance on whatever is sent or received within the country.
A recent incident with activist Ahmad Mansour showed that the government used a software called Pegasus to spy on his every move. The software gave them full access to what calls he made and any texts he sent or received. Not to mention the fact that it can turn on the camera and voice recorder at will. This threat is there for everyone. With a VPN, you can block these intrusions and surf the web, send whatever you want without having to look over your shoulders. You can connect to a server outside the UAE and hide your IP address, that way, no one can track you. Download a VPN, and stay safe online even in the UAE.
Bypass Geo-restrictions for Expats – International TV
Expats living in the UAE tend to miss what their country offers. For example, Indians living in the United Arab Emirates would like to keep track of their favorite Indian TV shows from home. However, a lot of Indian channels are geo-restricted to India and can’t be accessed abroad. Hotstar and Sony Liv are the top streaming services that an Indian could get, and by using a VPN they can do that easily. All you have to do here is download a VPN, connect to an Indian server, get an Indian IP address, and all the streamable programs, shows, and sports will be available in the UAE.
Unblock VoIP Services
Who doesn’t use Skype or Whatsapp calls on a daily basis? Well, that rhetorical question doesn’t apply in the UAE since they are blocked and no one can use them. They are considered to have a negative effect on telecommunication companies such as Etisalat and Du by the government. Despite what’s going on, you can always use a VPN and make a heartwarming Whatsapp call to your family back home.
Best VPN for UAE – Wrapping Up
Internet censorship and restriction can be a huge pain for someone living outside their country. But all we have to do is download a VPN and we are free to use whatever application comes to mind. Even dating apps are available with a VPN so you can now find your other half. Get a Virtual Private Network service provider, and live in the UAE the same way you’re used to live at home.