Internet safety and privacy have become critical when it comes to people living in Canada. Since it’s a member of the 5 Eyes intelligence alliance, one has to be extra careful. In recent years, members of 5 Eyes have shown that they are spying on one another’s citizens and sharing the collected information with each other in order to circumvent protective domestic regulations. So what do we do now? Well, a VPN can help with that if your a Canadian citizen. Pick your provider well, and make sure it’s the best VPN that suits your needs.
The Best VPN for Canada – A Quick Gander
There’s no shortage of VPN providers out there, but not all of them will meet your expectations. We took it upon ourselves to help you with your research. Let’s make it clear from the beginning of this review that you shouldn’t use any free VPN you might come across. We have listed the top 4 VPN providers for you to have a brief idea at first, before diving into the details. So brace yourselves.
The Top VPN Providers for Canada – In Details
We have chosen 4 VPN service providers that offer top-notch capabilities when it comes to internet safety and geo-unblocking. When you want to pick your VPN, you need to take a very good look at what features and services it offers. Below, I will be breaking down all that these VPNs offer and of course their cost too.
- Available on Almost Every Platform Imaginable
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Split Tunneling
- Unmatched Server Network Coverage
- Headquartered in British Virgin Islands
- Above Average Price
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
To kick off our best VPN list, ExpressVPN comes packed with a lot of features. The first thing to note is that this VPN’s headquarter is not in a country in the 14 Eyes alliance. And with a high number of servers around the world, you can access any content not available in your region. With ExpressVPN, bypassing geo-restrictions and gaining a level of security you’d never thought possible is a very simple task. So without further ado, take a look at what ExpressVPN can offer you:
- 94 countries with over 148 server locations
- It doesn’t keep logs when your browsing (This is a crucial feature any VPN should have).
- MediaStream Smart DNS to unblock geo-restricted channels and watch anything online.
- Supports the following protocols: OpenVPN with TCP and UDP, SSTP, L2TP/IPsec, PPTP with AES with 256-bit keys encryption.
- A Kill Switch in case any connection failure occurs.
- Unlimited Bandwidth
- Connects to 3 simultaneous devices.
- A support team is available 24/7 for any inconvenience via live chat.
- No free trials.
- 30-day cash-back.
- Costs 12.95$ dollars a month, 9.99$ with a 6-months plan, and 8.32$ with a yearly plan.
- Available for MacOS, PC, Android, and iOS
- 30-Day Money-Back Guarantee
- Kill Switch & Unlimited Server Connections
- Free DNS Proxy
- Servers Hosted in Top Tier Countries
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections
- Above Average Price
BulletVPN is one of the most effective providers when it comes to security. But what it has to offer in privacy and safety, it lacks in the number of servers. However, it still is considered to be one of the highest-rated VPNs out there since it comes with a whole number of features. With its HQ being based in Estonia, you can forget about the 14 eyes. Now with that said, this VPN grants you benefits that most of VPN providers can’t:
- Servers scattered in 30 different countries including Brazil, the US, UK, and so many others.
- No logs kept while browsing at all.
- Smart DNS available.
- Supports PPTP, L2TP, OpenVPN, IKEv1, and IKEv2 protocols.
- A Kill Switch is available.
- Unlimited bandwidth.
- Connects 3 simultaneous devices.
- On the clock support team via email or live chat.
- Free trials are not part of the package.
- 30-day money back if you don’t want to continue.
- $10.98 per month, $54.98 for 6 months, and $89.98 per year.
This VPN is one tough cookie alright. HQ’s based in Panama, so 14 Eyes are not a thing to worry about. It also comes with a huge number of servers. You can stream geo-blocked content in almost any country in the world. Guys, 4000+ servers, like seriously!. But don’t get too excited yet, this VPN offers a whole lot more than just servers, check the features below and see for yourself:
- 4928 servers in 62 different countries.
- Zero log policy.
- Cybersec for extra protection from malware and spyware infected by some sites.
- OpenVPN protocol to be used for both TCP and UDP ports, as well as IKEv2/IPsec.
- Strong encryption algorithms and ciphers such as AES-256-CBC with a 2048-bit DH key.
- Double VPN feature, can connect through two servers for more protection.
- A kill switch if the connection was lost.
- 6 connected devices at the same time.
- 24/7 award-winning VPN support.
- Get your money back within 30 days if you change your mind.
- 1 Month for 11.95$, 6 months for 9$ a month, and 1 year for 6.99$ a month.
- Good Speeds
- Trusted Apps & WiFi Networks' List is Handy
- Robust Security Features (DNS & Cloud)
- Beautiful Design
- Works on Many Platforms
- Some Glitches Here and There
- Kill Switch Behaves Rather Oddly
- Only 3 Simultaneous Connections for the Basic Subscription
- Server Network Could Have Been Better
Last but not least, VyprVPN. Hailing from beautiful Switzerland, which is not in the 14 eyes territory we’re delighted to say, this particular VPN is a one of a kind. However, with great power comes a great setback. VyprVPn keeps logs for 30 days, and that worries us a bit. But this VPN service provider can make it up with what it gives in return. Check below to see why VyprVPN deserves to be in our top 4 list:
- 700+ servers over 6 continents.
- It keeps logs.
- Supports Zero-knowledge Smart DNS. When you use VyprVPN, you directly activate VyprDNS as well, this will help you protect yourself and unlock geo-blocked content anytime.
- Has high-level security servers for P2P sharing, so torrents all you want.
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP/IPSec, and PPTP protocols.
- A kill switch is available.
- Simultaneous devices depend on the subscription: 3 per regular, 5 per premium.
- Live chat support available on the clock.
- 30-day cash back policy.
- Regular: 9.95$ per month; Premium: 12.95$/month.
Why VPN in Canada is Needed – Top 3 Reasons
Anyone who decides to use a VPN is either an expat trying to access content from home or anyone trying to increase their security. Canada hasn’t been that strict about blocking its content, but you still worry about what shady parties are planning for you when you’re online.
Security and Privacy – The Safety Package
Back in the days, Canada was considered to be free when it comes to internet use. However, now ISPs are required to keep records of people suspected of violating copyright laws thanks to the Copyright Modernization Act. And to add to that, the Anti-terrorism Act was issued as an act of the Parliament of Canada, giving the authority to Canadian government agencies to share information about individuals, such as banking and travel details. So why would we think that we’re safe? Anyone can access our records now and spy on our whereabouts. With a VPN, you can hide your IP address by connecting to any server. Now, Canadian citizens can browse the globe without fearing any prying eyes watching there every move. If Canada is part of the 5 eyes association, trust me, with a VPN, not even 1 eye can see you’re online activity.
Bypassing Geo-restrictions – Canadian TV Everywhere
If you’re an expat living outside Canada, you probably miss your favorite local content. But once you’re outside the Canadian borders, some of that is geo-blocked where you are. Just get a VPN, connect to a Canadian server, and you will obtain a Canadian IP address. Now channels like CBC can be unlocked easily with a Canadian IP.
Browsing Anonymously – Torrenting with Ease
We all know that torrenting can give you access to the best series just hours after they officially air. And we are aware you can find whatever you want using torrents. But not all of us know that we are jeopardizing our privacy while we do that. Whenever you download, anyone downloading the same file can see your IP address, which means that you can be tracked easily. The same goes for other prying eyes: ISPs, the government, even Google and face are monitoring your every move while online. That’s what a VPN is here for. You can hide your IP address by connecting to whatever server needed, thus cloaking your IP and allowing you to browse anonymously. Now, you can download torrents, browse the internet, and do anything you want online while preventing anyone from spying on your activities.
The Best VPN for Canada – Parting Words
The internet world is great to surf, but its waves might be dangerous. You never know when someone with bad intentions is lurking around and watching your every move. It may cost you a couple of Loonies, but that’s why you need to pick the best VPN there is. Canada doesn’t have that many restrictions, but you still need a VPN for extra privacy. So, connect to any server, and live the best happily ever after online life you always wanted.