Did you know that you can’t get American channels on Roku while abroad? Well, I learned that the hard way when I purchased mine. Therefore, I’m here to give you a heads up and teach you how to create an American Roku account while living outside the US. The process is pretty easy. Just follow this guide and you’ll have all the American streaming services at your disposal.
How to Create an American Roku Account Outside the US
Purchasing a Roku won’t give you the streaming experience you’ve craved unless you have access to US streaming channels. From US Netflix and Showtime to Hulu and Crackle, all can be available if you have a US account. If you’ve scrolled down to this far, you’re probably one of those unfortunate Roku owners who live abroad. Don’t worry, I got you covered. All you have to do is follow these steps and you’re all good to go:
- Sign up with a VPN provider. Best go for ExpressVPN.
- Download and install the VPN application on your PC or Mac.
- Connect to a US server. Don’t start creating your account until the connection is established.
- Visit https://my.roku.com/signup.
- Enter your information and click Continue.
- Select a Pin and press Continue.
- Now, you’ve reached the payment page. You can choose either Paypal or Credit Card.
- If you already have a Paypal account, that’s great, go for it.
- Use a valid US address to create your American Roku account. You can use Massachusetts as your state and 02493 as your zip code.
- Some people prefer the credit card option. However, in this case you’re stuck with your current street address that comes with your credit card. All you have to do is to change the postal code into a valid zip code.
- To create a the zip code, use the numbers from your postcode. For example, if it’s A2B 3C4, take the 2,3, and 4 then add zeros at the end until you have a 5-digit code. In our example, we end up 23400.
- Finish up and reset your Roku.
- Finally, log in with your newly created American account and you have yourself all the American content you’ve ever wanted on Roku. And remember, you need to be connected to American server using your VPN to be able to stream your shows.
Best US Channels on Roku
Here are the top streaming services you can find on Roku:
- HBO Go
- HBO Now
How to Create a US Roku Account Abroad – Final Thoughts
It’s a pretty simple process if you follow the steps carefully. Once that is done, you’ll see the huge difference in the diversity and quality of shows on Roku now that you have a US account. Just remember that using the best VPN for Roku is the key to all of this.